Monday, May 05, 2008
A musical interlude
In which V. still doesn't have anything much to talk about.

Hopefully I'll come up with something interesting to say soon. I've seen some films that I could probably review, but honestly, I'm just not motivated lately.

Meanwhile, enjoy one of my top favorite songs of all time. This song is one of the key reasons I'd like to learn to play guitar. Seriously, how come when you ask people who the greatest guitarists of all time are, everyone mentions The Edge or Hendrix, but nobody brings up Johnny Marr? It's because only like 0.03% of the population know who he is. Friends, I tell you today that Johnny Marr is a guitar genius. There's this urban legend that he used three effects pedals to get the reverb effect that makes this song rock. That's one more pedal than he had feet, so I'm guessing it's not true. Also, if had three feet Morrissey would have written a song called something like "Your Third Foot Makes The Whole World Bitter." You know I'm right.

Actually I think I read somewhere that the reverb thing is a trick of using feedback to make a series of amps vibrate in time with each other, or some convoluted thing like that. Supposedly it's impossible to recreate live. People have tried, but it's just never as good.

Here I am rambling, and I thought I didn't have anything to say. That's what happens when you get me started on a topic that I'm kind of a geek about. Anyway, listen to some Smiths. I hope you enjoy it. Pay close attention to that reverb, it's a true musical work of art.

<