Thursday, August 02, 2007
A note, and a brief film review
As you might have noticed, this blog hasn't been updated much lately. I've been having a medical problem that leaves me fairly exhausted most days, so keeping the blog current hasn't been a top priority. It's not life threatening, but it's sure knocked me on my ass. With any luck, I'll start feeling better soon. So don't write this site off just yet.

So today I had to drive out of town to have some lab work done. I decided to make a day of it and see Sunshine, which I desperately wanted to see but naturally isn't playing in my town. Friends, see this film. It was beautiful. I don't know how to describe it without sounding like a sentimental dork, but it was wonderful and life-affirming and a reminder of our humanity. I cried through about 1/3 of it, and I don't mean I was wiping away a single tear. The waterworks were wide open for this one.

There was a slight horror element towards the end. I don't know how I feel about this. Y'all know I don't like to spoil things, so I won't say too much. Just, the very definition of "plot" means there has to be conflict. You get to a point in the story where SOMETHING has to happen to keep the plot moving forward. So there had to be some element inserted in the plot at this point. I'm just not sure the element they chose was the best or the right one. That said, I'm not sure what else they might have done instead. It would have been a cop-out (again, without giving too much away) to just have their ship malfunction. It also would have been a cop-out to play the Evil Space Aliens card. So if it's not aliens and it's not an equipment problem, it can only be a human element, right?

Anyway, the thing I'm talking about here only takes up a small part of the story towards the end, and it at least does its duty in moving the plot towards the inevitable conclusion.

Oh, I should mention, the score is incredible. It adds to the emotional power of important scenes, and in at least one instance played a direct role in my above-formentioned waterworks.

Other things: Definitely see this on the big screen if you can. The cinematography was perfect. The sun itself is as much a character as any of the actors, and in many shots you find yourself feeling as if you're about to be engulfed by it. Just amazing. Also, the film did a great job of conveying that the sun is beautiful and necessary for life to exist, but it is also fucking terrifying. Before I saw this film, I had this vague impression that the sun is Scary And Dangerous, And Not A Place One Would Want To Be Too Near. After having seen this film, I have a clear impression that the sun is Fucking Terrifying. Isn't it awesome how space is fascinating and scary at the same time? I think it is, anyway.

Ultimately I found this to be a film about the human experience, and making it count. Making it really count, not just talking a lot of shit about making it count. I'll tell you what kids, 2007 has been a great year for films. I might have a hard time narrowing it down to five for my year-end roundup.
<