Thursday, June 21, 2007
Ten Things
I'm borrowing this from my friend Lisa's journal. It's late, but I'm not quite ready to go to sleep, so mainly I'm doing this to kill time. It's something of a challenge, because I don't like to put a lot of very personal information about myself online. So I have to think of ten things about myself that don't really say much about myself, but that say enough to be interesting.

Ten Things You Probably Don't Know About Me

1. When I was seven years old, I had the high score on the Gauntlet game at this convenience store down the street from my house. I don't like to brag, but I'll brag about this. I was freakin' seven. I kept that high score for the entire summer. Fun fact: I always played Blue Wizard.

2. The first CD I ever owned was Depeche Mode's Violator.

3. When I was in elementary school, someone had written YOU IS UGLY on one of the bathroom walls in black marker. It was there for years. One day, I got a red marker and corrected their grammar. This is the only time I have ever vandalized anything.

4. The first concert I ever went to was The Bangles. I was 13.

5. There's a scene in Twin Peaks (the TV series, not the film) where the one-armed shoe salesman is beaten up by Bob in a bathroom stall. I saw this when I was 14 or 15, and have been afraid of public bathrooms ever since. I don't scare easily, but dammit Bob is creepy.

6. When I was in high school, I lost my class ring while I was cleaning my room. I called a phone psychic and she told me exactly where to find it. True story.

7. When I wear high-heeled shoes, I feel like a poser.

8. I used to be fluent in German. At one point in my life, I even thought in German more often than I thought in English. It's been about 10 years since I spoke it regularly, and now I can't remember most of it. I find it easier to read German now than to speak it. This makes me sad. I should take a refresher course or something.

9. I saw Taylor Hicks in the Memphis airport once. He had to wait for his luggage like everyone else.

10. I was in a play once, and in one scene I had to eat an apricot. I had never eaten an apricot before, and even in the dress rehearsals I just mimed eating one. On opening night, I had to eat a real one. Turns out I'm allergic to apricots, and my lips and tongue swelled up. This was possibly the most mortifying thing to ever happen to me in public.
<