Tuesday, January 30, 2007
More Donnie Davies madness...
This whole Love God's Way thing is really bugging me. I've been looking into Donnie Davies, and I genuinely can't tell whether he's for real, or if he's just a sick asshole with a destructive sense of humor.

If you Google Donnie Davies, you'll find a whole bunch of speculation. It looks like there are loads of people out there who can't bring themselves to believe that this thing is real. I don't want to believe it's real. But conversely, I also don't want to believe that this is someone's idea of humor. As far as I can see, the only reason to make a joke like this is because you hate Christianity and you want to start a smear campaign.

And that's just not cool. That's worse than not cool.

For plenty of people, this is reality. Living in the Bible Belt, I personally have met many fundamentalist lunatics who firmly believe that homosexuality is evil. They believe that it can and should be "cured". And this is dangerous thinking. Not being a Christian myself, I'm not really qualified to talk about what Christianity does and does not endorse. But from what I know of Jesus, this is not the kind of thing he'd advocate. I like to think that, fundies aside, Christianity is positive and loving at heart. Be kind to each other. Be gentle. Share. Teach. Love. Don't be an asshole.

And then here comes Donnie Davies (likely not his real name) preaching hate. Does it really matter whether it's a joke or not? Some people have been calling this "satire". I think even that's a stretch. Personally, I think that hate is hate. You can't spread hate and then say "oh, it's satire," the implication being that it's your own fault if you're offended by it. I fail to see how any decent person could NOT be offended by "God Hates Fags."

I think I'm losing the plot here a bit. To summarize, Donnie Davies has really pissed me off. And I hope he's pissed you all off as well. I would like to hope that we live in a society that overwhelmingly condemns this kind of madness, but sadly I don't think that's the case.
<