Saturday, October 07, 2006
Good news: The Killers don't suck
So I've had a few days to listen to this new Killers album Sam's Town. Some albums you love instantly, as was the case with me and their debut album Hot Fuss. But then some albums you have to listen to a few times before you can really get a feel for them. And this new one is like that.

The first time I heard it, I didn't think "man, this sucks," but I didn't think it was all that great, either. I remember remarking to M that I hadn't heard anything near as brilliant as Mr. Brightside, but now that I've had time to absorb it all, I have to retract that statement.

Read My Mind is the one track from this new album that I keep playing over and over. It's one of the only tracks that preserves the synth-pop feel of Hot Fuss. It's catchy and pretty at the same time. I sort of think this should have been their first single. But I don't know anything about the music business.

Also, I'm not a music critic, so I'm no good at writing witty album reviews full of insights and comparisons and all of that stuff. I just know what I like, and I like The Killers. I maybe liked them a little better when they were foppish dandies in eyeliner and were angrier. Sams Town doesn't sound quite as angry to me. Also they've adopted some kind of weird spaghetti western look with weedy moustaches and cowboy clothes. And I'm just not feeling it. Bring back the eyeliner, guys. And yell more.
<