Saturday, December 31, 2005
Codename V Makes Another List
In which V turns her list-making attention to the world of popular music.

I keep intending to post a lot more, but... well, it's the holidays. But now, just for you, I'm going to list the five best songs of 2005. Isn't that awesome? Yes, yes it is.

1. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
So obvious.

2. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For
A great song from a great album. I almost went with Hollaback Girl instead, but this song is more of a favorite. Gwen was going to put out a second solo album in 2006, but she decided to have a baby instead. Personally, I think solo albums are way cooler than babies.

3. Depeche Mode - John The Revelator
From their new album Playing the Angel. I don't think anyone has heard this song besides me, which is a real shame. DM is an awesome band, and the new album is their best in years. You can actually dance to this track, if you're the dancing sort. I am not really the dancing sort.

4. Kanye West - Gold Digger
I credit this song with restoring my faith in rap music. I always liked rap, back in the day when it was Run-DMC and Kool Moe Dee and Sir Mix-A-Lot. SIR MIX-A-LOT, PEOPLE. When it was all about how Run-DMC didn't do drugs, and you had to fight for your right to party, and I like big butts and I cannot lie, say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat. But then sometime in the 90s it turned into all that gang war bitches and ho's stuff, and chronic and Puff Daddy. Incidentally, Puff Daddy is the devil. This is a scientific fact.

But then here comes Kanye West, who raps about, like, Jesus and college and stuff. Granted, I've only heard a few of his songs, so maybe somewhere in there he gets all gangsta. But from what I've heard, he's pretty positive and he's got a good creative sound. It's been a while since I was able to appreciate rap on an actual musical level. Gold Digger has a nice contagious sound, and he manages to call his woman a total ho without ever directly saying "my bitch is a ho". I like that. Bonus points to guest vocal Jamie Foxx for actually being able to sing. I still don't want to see Ray, though.

5. Snow Patrol - Run

What a beautiful song. Haunting, melodic... just a beautiful song. Pity about the rest of their album...

While I'm at it, I feel I should at least mention that I think the absolute WORST song of the year (perhaps the worst song of this generation) is...

The Black Eyed Peas - My Humps
Proof that there is no god. Proof that mankind will never be redeemed. Proof that the world is populated by jackasses with absolutely no taste or good sense, who will buy just about anything. I just can't get my head around the massive popularity of this song. If I have to listen to Fergie bragging about her Lovely Lady Lumps once more, I think I'll feel compelled towards homicide.


Fergie's lady lumps have sprung a leak.
<