Monday, November 07, 2005
Future sociopaths of America...
I don't usually like to get very personal or political on this blog, but I've read something that has genuinely bothered me.

"I like it," he said. "Shooting a gun and shooting at the animals and killing them."


That bit of wisdom comes at you from five year old John Wagner of Oakland, MD. That's right, I said five years old.

Apparently the Humane Society is pushing for states to enforce a minimum age on hunting. I'm not going to get on a soapbox with my feelings about hunting in general here, although it's something I feel very strongly about.

But I will get on a soapbox with my feelings about small children taking joy in killing animals.

Based on this article, most of the concerns seem to revolve around safety. Gee, is it really a good idea to give a five year old child a loaded gun? DARWIN IN ACTION.

But the safety issue isn't what bothers me. This is what bothers me:

How many five year olds have you met who understand what it means to die? I haven't met any. Nor have I met any five year olds who understand that serious actions have serious consequences. How many five year olds do you suppose really understand that animals can feel pain and suffer just like people do?

Fuck teaching them gun safety. How about teaching them a little respect for life? Teaching what it really means to kill. Teaching that "dead" means not coming back. Not ever.

Five year olds who "like shooting at animals and killing them"... well, let's just say that I personally won't be shocked if that little shit winds up in prison someday. Even then, I'm sure his parents will be proud.

Rant over.
<