Sunday, May 01, 2005
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
In which V. advises that some people might choose to wait for the DVD.

Went to see this today with my mom. My mom hasn't read the book, but doesn't get out to the cinema often, so she was pretty keen to see anything. My mom seemed rather amused by the bit with the dolphins at the very beginning, but then promptly fell asleep. I estimate that she was awake for about 60% of the film. She seemed to really enjoy the parts she was awake for. She particularly liked Marvin, who she seemed to feel real sympathy for.

My mother has a habit of forming attachments to fictional characters.

I have to say, I found it mostly enjoyable and entertaining. But it kind of fell a bit flat. That guy from The Office made a good Arthur Dent. The other main characters (Trillian, Ford, Zaphod) were marginal. Was Zaphod supposed to be that bloody irritating? Gah.

John Malkovich was pretty good, in his ten minutes of screen time.

Oh, and apparently a couple of guys from The League Of Gentlemen provided some voices. I like them. Brilliant show.

The film looked great, visually. They didn't skimp on the effects, nothing looked cheesy. The main problem, I think, is that three out of four of the main actors (as mentioned above) did remarkably poor jobs in really bringing their characters to life. Ford Prefect may as well have not even been there. Trillian came across as a colossal bitch. And Zaphod, I just kept waiting for him to shut up.

It's worth watching, but maybe not worth a $6 ticket. I dunno what your priorities are...
<