Wednesday, April 20, 2005
I am absolutely stunned
In which V. is absolutely stunned.

Upon realizing that it was getting a bit late and I'd not yet eaten my dinner, I decided to try some of this Momo's Veggie Fish that I bought at the supermarket last week.

I've been a vegetarian for ten years now, maybe a little longer. And let me tell you, as delicious as a lot of these fake meats are, they don't usually taste like The Real Thing. Veggie hot dogs are pretty spot-on. But honestly, most of the time it's just a question of "what flavor texturized vegetable protein do I feel like eating today?"

So I got out my fake fish. It was extremely oily. Like, extremely. I had to wash my hands in my grease-cutting dishwashing liquid to get it all off. Apparently this stuff is something crazy like 67% fat. But I barely eat any fat at all, and besides this is some kind of special omega fat or something that's supposed to make your skin healthier. So I figure, no harm done.

Easily cooked. Microwaved for 45 seconds. OMFG. This stuff tastes exactly like fish. It even has that flaky fish texture. I was so freaked out that I had to collect the packaging from the rubbish bin and double-check the ingredients. Yep, this is vegan. The geniuses at Momo's have managed to take soy, algae, and seaweed and make it taste like fish. Delicious. Greasy, but delicious. I should have had chips with it.
<